Freezing that moment...
Photography. You could easily look up the definition and find something that reads, "the process or art of producing images of objects on sensitized surfaces by the chemical action of light", and this would work, because this is precisely what photography is. But, when I think about photography, a topic I love discussing, learning about, and putting to practice my definition is a bit less "technical". Photography is indeed an art, but I would define it more as, "the art of taking a real, lived moment, a mere second in time, however ordinary or spectacular, and freezing it". This whole concept amazes me.
Photography has been an important part of who I am for a very long time. In fact, I can clearly remember the first camera I ever owned. It was a hot pink and black film camera, and exactly what I had always wanted. I was 10 years old and in love with the idea of having a camera of my own, and the freedom to take pictures of whatever it was I wanted to take pictures of. At that time, I was usually snapping away at my siblings, friends, very random objects or stuffed animals. Even as a child, I can remember being serious about every shot I took. The object(s) of interest should be well centered, the backdrop appealing, and never, ever look posed, even if you are. I enjoyed catching people in the most candid of moments, usually to their dismay.
My interest in photography grew when I acquired my first real "subject", my cat, Kitty. I have an entire album full of pictures of my sweet ball of fluff. In fact, it was a picture of Kitty that first caught the attention of a few family members. In it, she was lounging in front of a large window and there was a mix of sunlight and shadow cast over her. I was using black and white film at the time, and the effect created was both unusual and appealing. It was more of an accident that anything else, but it made me realize taking a picture went well beyond simply pressing your finger to a button and waiting for a flash...


Since then, I've enjoyed learning through practice, and have just recently started taking my first photography class. My camera is almost always in reach and, as you all know, I use it daily to "freeze" special moments with Gracie. While I do not have control of time, and it's hurried nature, with a camera in my hand I feel as though I gain some control. I stop time.
These days, it's all about her...



It's those little expressions that I love the most. It's the sweet, baby cheeks, that won't last long, the innocent blue eyes, the chubby, scuffed knees, and the golden curls at the nape of her neck. It's her spontaneous affection, a quick hug when you least expect it, or that sweet, sloppy kiss on the cheek. It's her attempt at running, then collapsing into her Daddy's waiting arms. It's the excitement of something new, the wonder and awe that lights up every ounce of her. It's every little detail, at every single moment, that I want frozen in time. And so, I snap away, letting my camera take in these precious moments before they pass. But, I also remember to take a step back, put the camera down, and live in these moments, too. When it's all said and done, that, of course, is what life is all about.
Photography. You could easily look up the definition and find something that reads, "the process or art of producing images of objects on sensitized surfaces by the chemical action of light", and this would work, because this is precisely what photography is. But, when I think about photography, a topic I love discussing, learning about, and putting to practice my definition is a bit less "technical". Photography is indeed an art, but I would define it more as, "the art of taking a real, lived moment, a mere second in time, however ordinary or spectacular, and freezing it". This whole concept amazes me.
Photography has been an important part of who I am for a very long time. In fact, I can clearly remember the first camera I ever owned. It was a hot pink and black film camera, and exactly what I had always wanted. I was 10 years old and in love with the idea of having a camera of my own, and the freedom to take pictures of whatever it was I wanted to take pictures of. At that time, I was usually snapping away at my siblings, friends, very random objects or stuffed animals. Even as a child, I can remember being serious about every shot I took. The object(s) of interest should be well centered, the backdrop appealing, and never, ever look posed, even if you are. I enjoyed catching people in the most candid of moments, usually to their dismay.
My interest in photography grew when I acquired my first real "subject", my cat, Kitty. I have an entire album full of pictures of my sweet ball of fluff. In fact, it was a picture of Kitty that first caught the attention of a few family members. In it, she was lounging in front of a large window and there was a mix of sunlight and shadow cast over her. I was using black and white film at the time, and the effect created was both unusual and appealing. It was more of an accident that anything else, but it made me realize taking a picture went well beyond simply pressing your finger to a button and waiting for a flash...
Then, there was my niece, Madison. Looking at that precious baby through the lens of my camera, and watching how quickly she was changing, gave photography a real purpose. My need to take pictures blossomed as Madison grew like a weed, and I began to really appreciate my camera and it's mission. It was also around this time that I bought my first digital camera. The realization that I wasn't bound to the traditional 35mm film, and a limited number of exposures, opened a whole new door for me! I could take as many pictures as my memory card would allow, view them, erase those that weren't up to par, and upload the worthy ones to my computer. The days of boxes and boxes of negatives were over!

(Madison~Only a Few Months Old)

(11 Months Old)
Since then, I've enjoyed learning through practice, and have just recently started taking my first photography class. My camera is almost always in reach and, as you all know, I use it daily to "freeze" special moments with Gracie. While I do not have control of time, and it's hurried nature, with a camera in my hand I feel as though I gain some control. I stop time.
These days, it's all about her...



It's those little expressions that I love the most. It's the sweet, baby cheeks, that won't last long, the innocent blue eyes, the chubby, scuffed knees, and the golden curls at the nape of her neck. It's her spontaneous affection, a quick hug when you least expect it, or that sweet, sloppy kiss on the cheek. It's her attempt at running, then collapsing into her Daddy's waiting arms. It's the excitement of something new, the wonder and awe that lights up every ounce of her. It's every little detail, at every single moment, that I want frozen in time. And so, I snap away, letting my camera take in these precious moments before they pass. But, I also remember to take a step back, put the camera down, and live in these moments, too. When it's all said and done, that, of course, is what life is all about.








5 comments:
You are a great writer! I really enjoyed reading this blog and, as always, looking at the pictures!
Thanks, Jade! Sometimes, I just feel like writing. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.
So true. Sometimes I have to remind myself to put down the camera and just BE there and take it all in.
You left us hanging with the picture of Kitty you described-- but I'm guessing you didn't post because it wasn't digital? Now you're going to have to show me!
I think it's wonderful you have found something you are so passionate about! And how cool that you are pursuing that passion as well! I sure wish I was good at taking photos! I'm afraid that all the pics I take of our baby boy will just be boring, run-of-the-mill type things.
Post a Comment