Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Photography.

For the past 7 months, I've been playing the part of family photographer. I wrote a post after my very first session about the pre-session nerves, the pressure, the desire to take a moment in the lives of a family and freeze it. I started out on this journey knowing I would find plenty of room to grow as a photographer (let's face it, I still know relatively nothing compared to what's left to learn), but I also knew from the beginning that by stepping out there I was making the decision to grow as a person as well. During those first months, I still questioned myself. I let self doubt creep in from time to time to attempt its damage, but as a challenge to myself, I kept moving forward. I've learned that comfort zones can be renovated, confidence can be built, and fulfillment can be found by simply taking a chance.


I am having a fantastic time, people.


Some sessions turn out better than others. There are lighting and weather challenges, unhappy kids, background issues, people in the background issues....so many things that can go completely wrong, but somehow something always seems to go magically right.

(This little beauty set this shot up all by herself. I turned from talking to her momma to find this perfect picture opportunity and grabbed it!)


You can't hide true emotion. Whether rain, shine, or freezing cold, the genuine smiles still come through and happiness is inevitably caught on a 4GB memory card. The thing that I love about all of this is that my smile behind the camera is just as genuine. I love love. I love seeing people happy. :)


I think the most important thing I've discovered is that being a "photographer" has a lot less to do with the camera you own or the equipment you use, and a whole lot more to do with giving yourself over to the art of it all, finding yourself free in these moments, living these moments, too.

(You tell us how you feel baby boy! Love this picture.)

These are just a few of my favorite pictures, not only because of the image itself, but because of the actual moment it was taken. I was there. I could hear that sweet baby cry and celebrate with my clapping nephew. I can hear the laughter and watch expression after expression cross the faces of these precious kids as they explore new places. I love it. Even on those days when I question whether or not I'm any good at it, I love it, and there it is, the reason I keep doing what I do. :)

8 comments:

Sarah @ A day in the life said...

GORGROUS pictures!

Lindsey S said...

They are all lovely! You are doing a great job. So glad you're enjoying what you do!

Rachelle said...

Love.
So well said :-)

Meredith said...

Look how tiny baby C was! <3 it! You are doing an amazing job and wished we lived closer!!!

Christina said...

Thank you, ladies! I have also appreciated all of the support and encouragement along the way! :)

Jade said...

I love you and am so proud of you! And of course thankful that I have beautiful photographs of my sweet boy! <3

MommyLevan said...

You have always done an amazing job of taking pictures. All the ones you take of my wild childern turn out great :) No one knows behind the scenes and how hard you work and how much of your time you put in but when they get there pictures and have those memories to hold on to for life...I know to you its all worth it.

Alisha said...

That is a fabulous picture of the little baby! Wonderful capture!